Residential Buildings

Why Building Maintenance Is Important

Beaverton has recently adopted a Residential Property Maintenance Code. The purposes of the code are to protect the health and safety of Beaverton residents, prevent deterioration of existing housing, preserve and enhance the quality of life in residential neighborhoods, and prevent or reduce the possible spread of urban blight. Urban blight is a condition whereby the deterioration of one property tends to reduce the value of neighboring properties. Poorly maintained residential buildings can adversely impact property values, lead to increased vacancy rates, and increase urban blight.

All residential buildings / dwellings are covered by this ordinance. That includes single-family houses, duplexes, and apartments. The code standards apply to both rental properties and owner-occupied dwellings.

Property Owners’ Responsibilities

Property owners must maintain residential buildings. All dwellings must be provided with current services for electricity, water, sanitary sewer, and the weekly removal and disposal of trash. Additional maintenance requirements are stated below.

  • Containers that collect water outdoors and afford a breeding place for insects must be emptied every seven days.
  • Dwellings must be kept clean and sanitary, free from insect and rodent infestation.
  • Exterior walls and every weather-exposed surface must be impervious to water.
  • Exterior wood surfaces must be sealed with paint or stain and be kept free from substantial cracking or peeling.
  • Human habitation of tents, campers, or RVs for more than 14 days in any three-month period is prohibited.
  • Overcrowding of dwellings is prohibited. One person for every 200 square feet of floor space is the rule of thumb. For example, Eight people living in a 1,500-square-foot home would not be considered overcrowding.
  • Roofs must be structurally tight and sound with no leaks.
  • Swimming pools must be maintained so that the water does not become green, brown, or black.
  • Tarps and tar paper are only allowed for a maximum of three months in any two-year period.
  • Windows and doors must be intact and substantially weather-tight.

Additional Resources