Beaverton Community Vision
Identifying Community Inspired Actions
The Beaverton City Council approved a major update to the Beaverton Community Vision action plan at the February 16, 2016 meeting. The plan identifies community-inspired actions that the city and a wide range of community partners will work on over the next decade.
The 104 actions in the updated plan are based on outreach by the volunteers of the Visioning Advisory Committee (VAC). VAC volunteers gathered public input at events and presentations throughout the community. In all, 5,751 people shared 7,722 ideas for Beaverton’s future, which became the actions in the new plan.
Updates to the action plan include topics like affordable housing and homelessness, food carts, street maintenance, small business support, schools, arts, and more.
Beaverton Community Vision was honored with the 2011 Award of Excellence - Community Visioning by 3CMA (City County Communications and Marketing Association). Read the news release Opens a New Window. .
The project was also named 2011 Public Involvement Project of the Year - Best Planning Project by the Cascade Chapter of the International Association for Public Participation. Read the news release Opens a New Window. .
About Beaverton Community Vision
What would you do to make Beaverton better? Beaverton Community Vision is an award-winning citywide project to determine what kind of community we want to be in the future. Thousands of citizens shared their ideas for Beaverton. From those ideas, we have developed an action plan to guide our future community decisions for decades to come, which was adopted by the City Council on September 20, 2010.
More than 60 community partners have adopted actions from the Beaverton Community Vision action plan.
A Brief History of the Beaverton Visioning Process
Community Identified Goals
- Build community
- Create a vibrant downtown
- Improve mobility
- Expand public services
- Enhance livability
More than 750 community members participated in the 2007 process over 16 public meetings held in multiple languages
- 5,000 people actively participated in the vision development
- 6,500 ideas received from the community
- 120 community events
- 1,070 volunteer hours donated by VAC
- 61 Community Vision Partners
- 115 vision action items
The Beaverton Community Vision was honored with two awards:
- Award of Excellence from 3CMA
- Public Involvement Project of the Year - Best Planning Project from the IAP
- City Council readopts Community Vision plan
- Revisions made included incorporating the city’s branding into VAC goals & removal of 3 action items
- A new community survey was created and used for community outreach
- VAC volunteers gathered public input at events and presentations throughout the community. In all, 5,751 people shared 7,722 ideas for Beaverton’s future
The Beaverton City Council approved a major update to the Beaverton Community Vision Action Plan include topics such as affordable housing and food carts, street maintenance, schools, arts, homelessness, small business support, and more
The Visioning Advisory Committee begins work to update the Community Vision & Action Plan