About Welcoming Week
National Welcoming Week is an annual series of events designed to bring together immigrants, refugees, and U.S.-born residents to raise awareness of the benefits of welcoming everyone. The week’s activities celebrate the contributions of newcomers and provide opportunities to build cross-cultural relationships and understanding. The 2019 Beaverton Welcoming Week was celebrated alongside more than 2000 events in communities across the country. Beaverton’s next annual celebration will take place Sept. 11 - 20, 2020, as part of the broader city-wide Welcoming Beaverton initiative.
How to be involved:
- Take a picture with one of the I’m a Welcomer signs Opens a New Window. and share it on social media with #BeavertonWelcomes.
- Attend the events and share your experience on Facebook, Twitter, & Instagram!
- To learn about other events happening across the country, see Welcoming America Opens a New Window. .
About Welcoming Week Grants
The City of Beaverton sponsors grants for interactive, community driven projects that create tangible opportunities for immigrants and U.S.-born residents to build cross-cultural relationships during the annual celebration of Beaverton Welcoming Week. These grants support community partners to host a public event or activity that highlights the spirit of the week, for example cultural events, community gatherings, workshops, classes, art exhibitions, film showings, or advocacy events.
- Support community led projects that increase opportunities for cross cultural exchange
- Build Beaverton’s identity as a welcoming city
- Build relationships and understanding to unite residents
- Foster pride in our diverse community
Awards may be up to $1,500 per project / applicant per year and must be used for activities to take place in Beaverton during Welcoming Week in September.
Application for 2020 funds is now closed..
Questions? Contact equity@BeavertonOregon.gov.
Interested in support for a program or project happening outside the scope of Welcoming Week?
Check out the Year-Round Welcoming Grants.
Thank you to our partners!
2019 Welcoming Week Partners:
- Spice of Africa
- Spirit of Grace
- Arabic House School
- PDX Friends of Refugees
- The Immigrant Story
- Somali Empowerment Circle
- Salon Amrapali
Accommodation requests related to a disability should be made by 5 business days to the Cultural Inclusion Team: email@example.com.
Dial 7-1-1 for Relay.