Being Prepared After a Major Disaster
After a major disaster, if sewage and water lines have been cut off, you may need to improvise emergency sanitation facilities. For this reason it is important to always have basic sanitation supplies.
- Household chlorine bleach
- Plastic bucket with tight lid (medium sized)
- Plastic garbage bags and ties (heavy duty)
- Soap and/or liquid detergent
- Toilet Paper
Read more about additional sanitation suggestions
It is essential to good health to stay clean. Keep your hands, body, and cooking and eating utensils clean. Consuming contaminated food and water can cause diarrhea, poisoning, and intestinal disease.
Controlling Insects & Rodents
- Keep all food in covered containers.
- Prepare only as much food as will be eaten at each meal.
- Use paper plates or eat from original food containers.
- Wash and peel all vegetables and fruits.
To help control insects and rodents, keep your living space clear of garbage, debris, refuse, and body wastes and repair holes when possible to keep rodents out. Remember that household insecticides will also work in small and enclosed areas.