Main Street Program
As part of the 2011-16 Economic Development Strategy, a core initiative is supporting small business development. The City of Beaverton Economic Development Division works with businesses and stakeholders to identify business districts and implement tailored assistance programs. One effort is the Beaverton Main Street Program specifically designed to assist business districts throughout the city. Currently, work has been focused on the downtown historic district where Economic Development staff have provided technical assistance, training, and funding to the newly formed Beaverton Downtown Association (BDA)
. The BDA is made up of business owners, property owners, residents, and other community members who care about downtown Beaverton.
The City of Beaverton works with the Oregon Main Street
to implement the Main Street approach. The Main Street Approach was developed by the National Trust for Historic Preservation Main Street Center
to help revitalize downtown commercial districts.
Beaverton Main Street Accomplishments
- Funded more than $10,000 to the BDA in 2011-12for business development efforts including
- First Friday
- Historic Downtown Plaques
- A Taste of Vintage Holidays
- Attendees to the Oregon Main Street Conference
Main Street Program Seed Fund
- Wrote the annual newsletter
- Designed the First Friday logo
- Developed the First Friday brochure
- Placed holiday lights and decorations throughout Downtown Beaverton
- Helped the BDA develop and submit an application for 501(c)3 non-profit status
- Provided Board member volunteer trainings
- Maintained the BDA web pages
- Conducted a Downtown Retail Market Analysis
- Received a $5,000 grant from the Washington County Visitors Association to develop a downtown walking tour brochure and web site
- Established an advisory committee to write a grant for the National Endowment for the Arts to support a creative placemaking project for Downtown Beaverton that would include wayfinding and other key signage for increased branding and identity within and leading to the business district.
The City of Beaverton established a Main Street Program Seed Fund to meaningfully address neighborhood economic development. Eligible organizations can apply for up to $2,000 for projects that demonstrate the National Trust for Historic Preservation's Main Street ApproachTM
to downtown revitalization. For more information about the application process, and requirements, download the guidelines and application:
Main Street Resources
Other City Resources
Consider Locating Your Business in Downtown Beaverton
Downtown Retail Opportunities
- For information about specific commercial and retail space available in Downtown Beaverton, please contact the Economic Development Division at (503) 526-2631.